Decided to make Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins this morning. We really liked my adapted version of a published recipe. Here it is:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners or spray with baking spray.
1) Mix 1 cup frozen blueberries with 1 Tablespoon flour, set aside
2) Mix together 1 1/2 cup (King Arthur - non-GMO flour)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 (scant) teaspoon salt
3) In a separate small bowl, mix the following ingredients:
Mix 1 cup of Greek plain yogurt with 1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
Add 1 large egg, beaten
A (scant) 1/3 c. sugar
3 Tablespoons Land o' Lake unsweetened butter
4) Stir the "wet" mixture that has been well-stirred into the "dry ingredients, using as few strokes as possible to mix together. Then, fold in the floured blueberries.
5) Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with a tiny bit of cinnamon and a very tiny amount of sugar (a small pinch of each).
If using frozen berries, bake for 25 minutes. If you have fresh blueberries on hand and want to use those, then 20 minutes should be sufficient. Test with a toothpick or wooden skewer and if no wet batter appears, the muffins are done!
Serve with a protein source such as a piece of cheese or string cheese, or an egg, or (possibly one piece of nitrite/nitrate free bacon, baked at 400 degrees for 10 minutes in an aluminum foil lined pan). If you are still hungry after eating one muffin, consider having a slice of pineapple! Balanced meals make for good health!
|Floral image scanned from a vintage source.|